Friday, November 17, 2006

Something trivial

I am, folks, it may not surprise you to know, a long time subscriber to the New Statesman (gizza job, Mr Kampfner, aw go on). Though it may surprise you that I'm also a sometime subscriber to the Spectator. But let's not dwell on that.

Anyway, something has for a while been bothering me about the old NS. You will of course be familiar with moniker assigned to the President of the United States, Mr George Walker Bush. 'Dubya' is how many of the literati refer to the former booze-bag. But for reasons I cannot fathom the NS spells it 'Dubbya'. Can anyone tell me why? It shouldn't but it bugs the hell out of me, partly because I think the double 'B' is probably correct. Then again, I'm not sure it's not just a stubborn insistence on standing out. (Gasp! How could you accuse the venerable rag of such baseness!) It's like the football commentators who insist on pronouncing a foreign player's name in some utterly stupid way, emphasising all the wrong syllables, when everyone around them sticks to the agreed wisdom.

Now, if you've managed to struggle through that garbage I salute you. I'm off to have a beer and watch QI. I'm off to the anti-BNP demo tomorrow and I'll report back my thoughts at some point over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home