Thursday, August 10, 2006

UK terror plot foiled

An alleged plot to murder thousands of transatlantic travellers has been prevented this morning.

The Metopolitan Police has said it believes that up to 20 people intended to explode bombs on up to nine planes bound for the United States from Britain. Police are now holding 21 people custody in stations around London. Home Secretary John Reid has so far refused to confirm the ethnicity of the suspects, but President George Bush displayed characteristic hubris when he announced that it was a "stark reminder" that the US was "at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom."

The plot is said to have centred on liquid explosives which were to be carried in drinks bottles. It is believed that nine planes may have been targeted with plans to attack in nine planes in three waves of three on different days.

It is also believed that police may have received new information in recent days which led them to carry out dawn raids on several properties this morning. The attacks may well have been carried out in the next fews. The Met says it is confident that "the main players have been accounted for".

More will become clear in the hours ahead and details of those in custody will follow. The Met now has 28 days in which to gather evidence against those suspected or release them without charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home